Because I wanted to do something else than model trains, I decided to look for an RC truck kit. After some searching the newly released Tamiya Mercedes-Benz Arocs caught my eye. I featured everything I was looking for: not the default Scania you see at exhibitions, newly developed, 6×4 chassis. I will post my building progress in this post. This post is still being updated.
- Part 1 – Frame
- Part 2 – Steering Axle
- Part 3 – Back Axles
- Part 4 – Drivetrain
- Part 5 – Rear decoration
- Part 6 – Start of the cab
- Part 7 – Finishing the cab
Part 1 – Frame
Started on the truck today, didn’t complete a lot of steps because I’m waiting for my servo’s to arrive, but the frame is coming together nicely.
Part 2 – Steering Axle
The firs servo is in! This one had to go in-between the frame sides, that’s why I had to wait for it. Now I can proceed with other parts while I wait for the steering-servo. The final result is that the steering axle suspension is finished, the only thing missing is the servo.
Part 3 – Back Axles
It’s time for the back axles. There’s quite a lot of work in these because I even need to build the differentials. But the back axles are done now.
Part 4 – Drivetrain
Today I finished one of the last major mechanical components, the drivetrain consisting of a transmission and motor. Building the transmission requires a lot of patience and precision. Misplacing or forgetting a part wil result in your truck unable to drive or shift gears.
Part 5 – Rear decoration
After quite some work, mostly me repainting parts because I failed the first time, I’ve made progress. All fenders around the back wheels, taillight units and one of the side tanks are done. I’ve added all the necessary lights to it as well which results in quite some cables.
Part 6 – Start of the cab
A lot of time has passed since my last update. This time I painted a lot of parts, bundled wires and attached them to the frame and installed the base of the cab, vibration unit, fifth-wheel and the other fuel tank.
Part 7 – Finishing the cab
This update took some time, but the progress is huge. The controls are fully functional now, the original motor got replaced by a carson poison motor, this motor runs better. As you can see on the photo’s, I’ve mounted the cab, only the bumper is left. Only thing is the bumper contains all forward facing lights, so this will take quite some time.